Friday, May 10, 2013

Change

     I have come to the conclusion that we spend a lot of our time learning to deal with and accept change. Change is something that doesn't come easy to most people. We get set in our ways of doing things or ways in which we think and then out of the blue.......the situation changes. I walked into work two weeks ago to find out we were getting a new principal next year. Keep in mind that this will be our fourth principal in the last seven years. While I was happy that my current principal was growing professionally and moving on to bigger and better things, a part of me was just angry. The self talk began, "Why couldn't we continue the work we had begun? Why was my principal chosen? What about the students? What about the continuity of their school experience? What about the community?"
I found myself asking all the questions everyone asks themselves when change happens in a school community. Once again, I was confronted by change. But change, my friends, can be a good thing.
    For change to be a positive experience, it requires open mindedness, lots of discussion, and patience.
It requires everyone to reserve judgement, to listen, watch and to be kind. There are many changes headed our way at our school. Teachers are retiring, new teachers are being hired, families that have been at our school for years are moving on to the junior high and new families will join our school community. Upon reflection, I realized that although there will be new faces at school, the mission stays the same. It's all about the kids! Everything we do is about educating children and that will continue regardless.
     My students are facing change in a huge way in the next month. Most will be leaving the only school they have ever attended and go to a new school in August. This can be a rough time for them as they come to this realization. It's my job to let them know they are ready, they are prepared and they can do it. I saw amazing changes in my students this week when we were at Science Camp. They became more independent, took care of themselves AND others, showed caring, kindness, and took responsibility. They have learned many things this year and some of it is about life and getting along in this world. The academic lessons were easier than the life lesson, but in the end, the life lesson are so important. I hope the memories and successes they experienced this year and particularly, this week, will stay with them for a lifetime. On my classroom wall I have posted, "Expect the unexpected." Change happens.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment